Discussion of geocaching land use

Moderator: Steering Committee

Handyman-N-Fam
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Caches on Indiana DNR properties

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

An email I received a little bit ago:
Groundspeak wrote:Hello

This letter is to let you know that as of November 1st 2012, the Indiana Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) will be changing its geocaching policy.

What does this mean for you?

If you own a cache on IDNR land or want to place a cache on IDNR land, you must seek a new geocache permit from IDNR for each of your caches. You must then renew your permit(s) each year while your cache is on IDNR property.

In November, Groundspeak, the Indiana Volunteer Review Team and IDNR will provide more information about this new process. IDNR is currently in the process of creating a geocaching webpage that will include the new policy as well as instructions to apply for the permit. There will also be step by step instructions for current cache owners already placed on IDNR land.

On November 7th, 2012, all caches on IDNR property will be archived. You will then have 30 days to complete the permit and have your cache placement approved by IDNR through the new policy. Once this has been done and you have notified your local volunteer reviewer, the reviewer will enable your cache listing again.

We thank you for your understanding and patience while Groundspeak and the Indiana Volunteer Review Team help IDNR with implementation of its new geocaching policy. We hope to make this transition as smooth as possible.

If you have any questions please send an email to contact@geocaching.com attention Jessica.

Best Regards,

Groundspeak, Inc.
Handyman-N-Fam

Re: Caches on Indiana DNR properties

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

It makes no sense to me why they are archiving instead of disabling all the caches. Those that don't get the permit could be archived, instead of un-archiving those that do get the permit.
styx
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by styx »

Does this mean that if your cache is "un-archived" it will have the same GC code and placement date..... That would be excellent for Turkey Run Stash.
I know I don't have the longest streak
........ but do I have the longest slump?
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

styx wrote:Does this mean that if your cache is "un-archived" it will have the same GC code and placement date..... That would be excellent for Turkey Run Stash.
Yes, but Turkey Run would no longer be the oldest unarchived cache in Indiana.
Team_Maltese
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by Team_Maltese »

Handyman-N-Fam wrote:It makes no sense to me why they are archiving instead of disabling all the caches. Those that don't get the permit could be archived, instead of un-archiving those that do get the permit.
Russ, as an owner of caches in IDNR controlled locations, do you think you could politely ask for a reconsideration of the IDNR and Groundspeak decision to disable rather than archive (as you have suggested in this forum) and the ones that are not eligible for permits under the new guidelines can then be archived? Perhaps an organized plea to preserve such historical caches as Turkey Run would influence the decision makers?
woof-woof from geo-pups Zoe and Daisy
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

Team_Maltese wrote:
Handyman-N-Fam wrote:It makes no sense to me why they are archiving instead of disabling all the caches. Those that don't get the permit could be archived, instead of un-archiving those that do get the permit.
Russ, as an owner of caches in IDNR controlled locations, do you think you could politely ask for a reconsideration of the IDNR and Groundspeak decision to disable rather than archive (as you have suggested in this forum) and the ones that are not eligible for permits under the new guidelines can then be archived? Perhaps an organized plea to preserve such historical caches as Turkey Run would influence the decision makers?
Done,
We will see what comes of it.
styx

Post by styx »

Excellent...
Team_Maltese
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by Team_Maltese »

Thanks Russ :D
woof-woof from geo-pups Zoe and Daisy
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

Jessica wrote:I am very sorry for the confusion. The caches will be archived and as permits are approved the locale reviewers will be unarchiving the caches. Archiving the caches and then unarchiving them once the new process has been followed is the best way to make sure that we do not miss any caches. Please do not worry, you will not lose any of the information or history on your cache page.

We will also be sending out another email very soon explaining the process in more detail and where you can find more information.

Regards,

Jessica
Community Relations Lead
styx

Post by styx »

Handyman-N-Fam wrote:
Jessica wrote:I am very sorry for the confusion. The caches will be archived and as permits are approved the locale reviewers will be unarchiving the caches. Archiving the caches and then unarchiving them once the new process has been followed is the best way to make sure that we do not miss any caches. Please do not worry, you will not lose any of the information or history on your cache page.

We will also be sending out another email very soon explaining the process in more detail and where you can find more information.

Regards,

Jessica
Community Relations Lead
Wrong answer... I think they are missing the point.
T-Hunter
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by T-Hunter »

When I emailed them about Turkey Run Stash and expressed my opinion about it being archived I got this in return today.
Me:
I read your new rules about geocaching and was concerned about the Oldest unarchived cache in the state of Indiana. It would be a shame if it got archived since old caches are part of some of the challenges for geocachers. The one I am referring to is GCC6 Turkey run stash.Are there any plans to keep this one active?

Them: Greetings Mr. Speiser!

Thank you for your patience as we obtained the answers to your questions. You are correct that at this time, we are updating our current geocaching policy. Our staff is aware of this cache, and if will do what we can under the new policy to make sure it remains active. Shortly there will be news release on the policy, and ways to obtain permits to keep the cache like this and others in place.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

Sincerely,
Indiana State Parks and Reservoirs

If you aren't FTF, you're last to find.
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

It looks like the local level understands the issue better than the corporate level.
Thanks Mr. Speiser!
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

Groundspeak wrote:Hello,

You have been identified as having a cache placed on one of the properties owned by the Indiana Department of Natural Resources (IDNR). For this reason we are notifying you of a new policy that will be put into place by the IDNR in November. You can find the new policy and permit instructions listed on the IDNR website here: http://www.in.gov/dnr/7488.htm

The policy requires all physical containers on IDNR property to have a permit. The new permits will be effective for one year from the date issued and must be renewed each year. The policy also includes some placement restrictions, such as prohibiting caches on IDNR properties of less than 200 acres.

On November 6th, to comply with the new policy, Groundspeak will archive caches placed on properties owned by IDNR. As a cache owner, you will have 30 days from this date - to acquire a new permit, which will then allow your cache to be unarchived
As a CO,

here’s what you need to do:

Submit the completed permit application (link above) to Brad Bumgardner through his email bbumgardner@dnr.IN.gov.
If the application is approved, you will be issued an IDNR permit.

Email a copy of the IDNR permit to one of your local reviewers within 30 days of Nov 6th and your cache will be unarchived.

If you acquire your permit after 30 days of November 6th, you will need to submit a new cache listing to Groundspeak with a copy of your permit to one of your locale reviewers. Please note: Caches will not be unarchived if you have not submitted a valid permit to your Indiana reviewer by December 6, 2012.

If you have any questions please send an email to contact@geocaching.com Attention: Jessica

We will be happy to answer any questions that we can.

Best regards,

Groundspeak
TeamMina

Caches on Indiana DNR properties

Post by TeamMina »

Question seems to be, is it worth all this effort?