Caches on private land

Discussion of geocaching land use

Moderator: Steering Committee

LimaD&H
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Caches on private land

Post by LimaD&H »

The other day I came across a cache listing (sorry, I now don't know which one it was) that sounded like it was located on private land. The description led me to believe that cachers should use caution because they would be trespassing, although it wasn't in those exact words. Is it actually common for caches to be placed on private propery without permission? I'm not talking about private property but a public place, like a mall or church. I'm referring to a location such as a privately owned woods.
[hr]
Dave
Wife: Helen
Using iPhone 4 with Groundspeak Geocaching app.
cheechgang
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Re: Caches on private land

Post by cheechgang »

If what you describe is correct then it is definitely a problem.

There are private woods that have been okayed for caches (often the property owner is a cacher) but this is usually explicitly mentioned on the cache page so that there is no question.

Can you figure out the GC number?
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
LimaD&H
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Post by LimaD&H »

I'm sorry, but no. When I first was doing general searches to find some possible places for hunts in our area, I remember coming across this and thinking that it sounded strange. About all that I can tell you is that it would have been in a search of traditional caches, at or below 2.5 difficulty and terrain, within 50 miles of 45805 area code. I was wondering if it was a common practice, but it sounds like it isn't. At this early point in my caching career I personally would never hunt for a cache on private property, maybe not even if the owner had given permission, but I tend to be conservative that way. We did do a couple of simple park and grabs the other day, but they were only <10 feet from the street on the cache owners' properties in residential areas.
[hr]
Dave
Wife: Helen
Using iPhone 4 with Groundspeak Geocaching app.
OnDHunt
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by OnDHunt »

I would agree. It is not common for a cache to be placed on private property without permission. The couple of times I have seen it happen, the cache does not last long and it usually ends when the property owner discovers someone hunting for it.
I am an amazed cacher!