Canal Trail Cache F.Y.I.

Discussion of geocaching land use

Moderator: Steering Committee

GeoFlint13
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Canal Trail Cache F.Y.I.

Post by GeoFlint13 »

I talked to Jim OBrien, Assistant Director of Harrison Lake, Independence Dam State Park and Mary Jane Thurston State Park, earlier this week to get permision for my latest 2 caches at I.D.S.P. He has no problem with geocaches being placed as long as they're properly maintained. He also does not want the parks and canal trails to become overloaded with caches, so he would like for all future caches to be a minimum of 1/2 mile apart. I also found out from him that canal jurisdictions have changed. Before he controled I.D.S.P. and the Buckeye Trail between there and Florida, OH and he wasn't sure who regulated it beyond there. Now, all canals, canal trails and towpaths are state regulated. He's probably not even sure what parts of the canal and trails he has jurisdiction over yet because it sounds like it's all changed fairly recently. If you want to put a cache(s) in any of the 3 parks, canal trails or towpaths, just make sure that you give him a call. He's a super nice guy and as long as you asure him that the cache will be properly taken care and not become trash in the park or along the trail, then I'm about positive that he will give you permission for your cache. Just a little F.Y.I. that I thought I would pass along.
Jim O'Brien 419-237-2593
Good Luck & Happy Hunting!
GoodDog
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Re: Canal Trail Cache F.Y.I.

Post by GoodDog »

Unless things have really changed, The Metro Parks of Toledo control the towpaths from Waterville to Grand Rapids. You still have to get a permit from them.
I agree about the cooperation with Harrison Lake. They were very nice about the caches I have there.
GeoFlint13

Post by GeoFlint13 »

GoodDog wrote:Unless things have really changed, The Metro Parks of Toledo control the towpaths from Waterville to Grand Rapids. You still have to get a permit from them.
I agree about the cooperation with Harrison Lake. They were very nice about the caches I have there.
I don't know for sure, but I would say that since the towpath is part of the city metro park that the city will still take care of and regulate it. Then again maybe the state will give them guidelines or rules that they will need to follow and/or enforce. That would be a P.I.T.A. for the city parks dept. if the state butted in. But like I said, I don't know. Good question.
GrizzFlyer
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by GrizzFlyer »

There was an article in todays Toledo Blah that said the designated scenic rivers in Ohio would be transferred from the DNR Natural Areas and Preserves division to the DNR Watercraft division. Dunno how that would affect abutting lands that are/were in the Division of Parks and Recreation, but it does indicate some shifting of DNR responsibilities. Here is the link as of today:

link

It appeared to facilitate the new fees for canoes, kayaks, liveries, etc.
Geocaching.com Charter Member
NWOGEO Charter Member

GeoFlint13

Post by GeoFlint13 »

Just another way for them to take more money from us.