Farmland News large geocaching story

Articles and links about local geocachers in the news.

Moderator: Steering Committee

GrizzFlyer
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Farmland News large geocaching story

Post by GrizzFlyer »

The January 14, 2014 issue of Farmland News, a local newspaper from Archbold, has a large article on geocaching. It features Adjourn, who lives around here in good weather, and goes to Florida for the winters. It is the full front page story, with several more full pages of text and good photos. Some of the photos are of local caches which many of you would recognize. Well written by Shirley Brodbeck, whom I *think* is a relative of Adjourn. Nicely done.

I'll bring the article to the next M&E if anybody wants to see it.

Grizz
=====
Geocaching.com Charter Member
NWOGEO Charter Member

TeamMina
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Re: Farmland News large geocaching story

Post by TeamMina »

Hope there's still one around here!
TheBearclaws
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by TheBearclaws »

Would like to see the magazine. Cant find an online version but I do know Adjourn.
SuchaNana

Post by SuchaNana »

adjourn is Shirley Brodbeck...either wrote it before she left or doing it online...email time...
SuchaNana...Life is STILL an Adventure...
GrizzFlyer
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by GrizzFlyer »

Ahaa, a pretty durn close relative then.. :D
Geocaching.com Charter Member
NWOGEO Charter Member

SuchaNana

Post by SuchaNana »

shirley emailed back: "A nice surprise to hear from you and I needed that lift at this late hour.

The only reason I continue to subscribe to Farm Land News, out of Archbold, is because they always run a main, human interest story each week. They say that good things don't sell papers but I'm the exception to the rule. We need to hear more good things about our area.

I thought they'd interview me. I sent the info in and they asked for a couple more things and what you'll see is the end result.

Geocaching brings me great joy and after so many days at sitting at this computer I just have to go out and find a cache. I have a couple to find in a series called Buckeye Road Bug and Birds. Buckeye reminds me of Ohio and these caches are close to the road and many are bugs on bison tubes and variations on birds from artificial birds, nest with egg, birdhouse, non bird, bird head game, big bird and I haven't found the camouflaged one yet.

On way back from Orlando I stopped in the middle of phosphate mining country and visited a museum where there should be one in a large drag line bucket. A cacher from New York shows up and is talking about taking my picture and I can take his. Turns out this is an earth cache as well as the cache I was hunting for near the bucket. I didn't realize till after he left that my cache was there, too, and not the earth cache. Didn't find it.

They have a pile of diggings and you can hunt for fossils, mostly shark's teeth. Just like the fossil pile in the quarry on Centennial and at the Fossil Fest. My father worked at Medusa Cement all his life and operated the shovel that loaded the stone onto the trucks. If he saw a good trilobite or brachiopod he'd jump out and get it before the next truck drove up. He spent hours cleaning them and one slip of the dental pick and there went the fossil, into pieces.

So, are you one of those crazy winter cachers? I'm crazy down here but not on the humid days. It saps me. There is an event this coming week at Myakka State Park, east of Sarasota. They say there are 300 caches out and there will be a flash mob picture on and around a tree top, swinging bridge. Another is at Lake Manatee State Park in April. I'm so far behind that I may have to stay home and do my taxes which should have been on there way back to Michigan by now.

Get me started and you can't shut me up. Thanks for connecting and reading my prose.

Adjourn - Shirley"
SuchaNana...Life is STILL an Adventure...