How would you use this for Geocaching?

Discussion about anything geocaching tech related! GPS Units, PDA's, Paperless Caching, etc. (For NWOGEO web issues, please use "Website Related Forums".)

Moderator: Steering Committee

GizmoGuy411
Uber Level Poster (2k - 2999 posts)

How would you use this for Geocaching?

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

Check out this site: http://www.dingotel.com/2way/index.asp

This device connects your FRS/GMRS radios to the Internet. The party on the other end can use their computer and headset or another one of these devices with their own FRS/GMRS radios to talk to you.

Got any great ideas on how we could use such a device for Geocaching?

P.S. Thanks to Magickal for recently discovering this device at Besy Buy.
Dubbin1
Regular Poster (100 - 199 posts)

Re: How would you use this for Geocaching?

Post by Dubbin1 »

They would not do us much good out in the woods.
Mr.BBD
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by Mr.BBD »

Two words: Cellphone?
[url=http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?A=223411:24w1fwsy][img:24w1fwsy]http://img.groundspeak.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=88-83+OH-MI&uid=819531db-4c7c-4812-849a-890a3ca03d7a&bg=1[/img:24w1fwsy][/url:24w1fwsy]
GizmoGuy411

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

Mr.BBD wrote:Two words: Cellphone?
True.... but I'm thinking this device may have some "group" talk abilities. Yeah I can make a three-way call with my mobile too, but that is the limit.

I'm tempted to buy one of these to "evaluate" it and see if I can brainstorm.

Come on guys..... someone has to have a creative idea!

Event cache base station?
Geocaching life-line?
Dubbin1
Regular Poster (100 - 199 posts)

Post by Dubbin1 »

Gizmo these are going to do no good for what you want them for. You would be lucky to get 1/4 mile out of a FRS radio and maybe 5 miles out of the GMRS but you will need a license for that. You would have to somehow carry internet access and a computer out into the field with you to do any good.
GizmoGuy411

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

Yep your right about the range Dubbin. I well know mileage claims of the FRS/GMRS are gross exaggerations, and that maximum range claims are line of sight over water at best.

And speaking of the license requirement for GMRS.... that is rapidly becoming almost as big of a joke as the past license requirement for CB radios. When you can now buy them at every x-Mart in the country, the reality is that GMRS channels are truly headed the route of Citizen Band.

So OK. I guess I have to admit here, and explain, that I never REALLY thought of a good enough use for this thing, (for geocaching or otherwise even) to bother buying one. Especially at $60 per unit.

However, I was trying to NOT stifle creativity by saying that previously. Unfortunately everyone seems to agree with my original secret opinion! Even the device's website description leaves me scratching my head as to why anyone would buy it.

Regardless.... my inclination for "gizmos", makes me itch to buy one anyway to experiment with. I can't help it. (read gizmoholic) And yes I own many things, that have never been put to practical use. Never-the-less, a few such things have been dragged out of cold storage and put to use, long after owning them once I experiencing some epiphany of sorts.

The two uses/examples I mentioned before were just off-hand stepping stone suggestions to get some creative thought moving. I had trouble even coming up with those!

[hr]

Drat! :?

Ok..... one more try here.

Don't tell us what they are no good for.....(that seems too obvious) but rather tell us what they COULD or MIGHT or POSSIBLY be good for.

You see then I would be obliged to buy one to REALLY disprove all those creative ideas. Then maybe I could pawn it off on eBay. :wink:

With all the very creative people here, SOMEONE must have some clever, creative, innovative, ideas on how these darn things could be used! :idea: :?
jslagle
Ninja Rabbit

Post by jslagle »

Just FYI.

Use of GMRS without a license carries a max fine of $10000.

Not worth not getting the $70 license IMHO :P

Jason
--
Jason Slagle
Official geek of nwogeo :D
keithandcompany
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by keithandcompany »

We never transmit above channel 12. The Garmin Rhino series combines the FRS and such with a gpsr. It has games you can play on it because it also lists the location of the other unit on the map if it chimes in on the radio.