Cigarette lighter socket power for your USB GPSr

Discussion about anything geocaching tech related! GPS Units, PDA's, Paperless Caching, etc. (For NWOGEO web issues, please use "Website Related Forums".)

Moderator: Steering Committee

GizmoGuy411
Uber Level Poster (2k - 2999 posts)

Cigarette lighter socket power for your USB GPSr

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

If you have a USB powered GPSr like many Garmin units, here is an inexpensive 12 Volt to 5V, Cigarette lighter socket to USB adaptor.

USBGeek.com sells a
1000mA version
for $7, or a
2000mA version
for $9. ($12 with shipping)

Just use your existing cable and you can power your GPSr from your vehicle without needing to carry around a additional cable.
Coaster
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Re: Cigarette lighter socket power for your USB GPSr

Post by Coaster »

I know a couple people with 60 series units that wore out the USB connector. Knowing one of them fairly well I'm guessing he was pretty careful with it.

I think the design of the serial cable connector is a little sturdier even if the power cable costs a little more. Probably worth the savings over having to send your GPS back to the motherland.

One of these would be nice if you're leaving the GPS in the car and using another to hunt with though.
Coaster
http://www.acquiringsatellites.com/
GizmoGuy411
Uber Level Poster (2k - 2999 posts)

Re: Cigarette lighter socket power for your USB GPSr

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

Yes your right the connector surfaces in the USB are much smaller. I always worry about wearing out my cell phone connector too.

I just hate having so many cables, and am crossing my fingers that the 60CSx will have a better quality connector.

Hey Coaster... I started a new thread for us 60CSx owners.