Ticks & Mosquitoes 101 (and now also Deer Flies!)

Discussion about anything geocaching tech related! GPS Units, PDA's, Paperless Caching, etc. (For NWOGEO web issues, please use "Website Related Forums".)

Moderator: Steering Committee

GizmoGuy411
Uber Level Poster (2k - 2999 posts)

Ticks & Mosquitoes 101 (and now also Deer Flies!)

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

Image There are approximately 80 known species of ticks.

The American Dog Tick (Dermacentor variabilis) is the most common of the 12 species found in Ohio.
Dog Tick
A. Adult Female
B. Adult Female
C. Adult Male

Note the difference in size and coloring between the two female ticks. Females have a light and dark pattern on their 1/3-body length shield, while the male has it down its full-body length shield. Source LINK to The Lyme Disease Foundation
Lyme Disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Ehrlichia are the most common serious diseases transmitted by ticks. The CDC mentions 11 types of ticks. Lyme Disease Foundation LINK

West Nile Virus is the most common serious disease transmitted by mosquitoes. Ohio Human cases: LINK Other mosquito-transmitted diseases in Ohio include La Crosse encephalitis, Eastern Equine encephalitis and St. Louis encephalitis

The most effect prevention of tick related diseases, is the prompt SAFE removal the tick.

The ONLY safe removal method of a tick is with a blunt tweezers, or a commercial tick removal tool where complete removal of the tick along with it's mouth parts is accomplished in a slow gentle manor. LINK

One elegantly simple tool "Ticked Off" is available locally at "PetCo" stores. It can be used for humans and animals. It is included in an OSU study on tick removal tools: LINK

Additionally a unique citrus based liquid product called "Tick Release" is advertised as an effect and safe method to assist in tick removal. Application weakens the ticks grip, with 25% ticks falling off on their own. It can be used for humans and animals. LINK and another similar product LINK

ALL other tick removal methods including heat sources, and liquid smothering (other than "Tick Removal" above) are NO LONGER considered safe.

Great care should be taken to not squeeze the body of the tick.

After removal, wound should be cleaned with an antiseptic.

Ticks should not be touched with bare hands.

Removed ticks should be saved in plastic bag with damp paper towel or grass blades to help keep it alive for testing if necessary. Identify bag with person's name, time of probable exposure and time of removal.

Ticks do NOT jump. They are often found on tall uncut grasses. American dog ticks prefer overgrown vacant lots, waste farm fields, weedy roadsides, and edges of paths and hiking trails.

Adult American dog ticks are most abundant from mid-April to mid-July.

Some ticks can detect humans and animals up 18 feet away.

Ticks will often climb to hair line edges on the body including the head.

Tick bites are seldom felt. Close visual inspection of the entire body is required.

Light colored clothing with pants tucked into socks are recommended when in a known infected area.

Image Deer Flies are another geocacher pest that deserves attention here. They tend to attach to moving targets, and unlike ticks and mosquitoes, you KNOW when they are biting you!
For more information, read this article from the Ohio State University: Horse and Deer Flies HYG-2115-98
Source for Deer Fly Patch as mentioned in the article.

Image Effective Repellents:

DEET and Permethrin are the most effective proven and established repellents against ticks, mosquitoes and deer flies.

More recently, Picaridin LINK has also been proven effective against mosquito's and ticks. However reports are, that it is not effective for deer flies. For ticks, the CDC says, "Picaridin has limited data published for tick repellent, but it may provide suitable protection." Currently, concentrations of 7% and 15% are available in the U.S. The 7% concentration requires reapplication every 3 to 4 hours, while the 15% concentration lasts much longer. (Also known as Autan®, Bayrepel®, Hepidanin, Icaridin, KRB 3023, and Propidin.) Note that 'Autan Portection Plus' is available online from overseas sources which contain 20% Icaridin. Also note that ''Autan Active Tropical' is not the same and contains DEET.
Picaridin based repellents seem hard to find locally. After shopping around I finally found "Cutter Advanced" (7%) and "Cutter Advanced Sport" (15%) available at Home Depot & Target.

DEET and Picaridin can be used on skin or clothing.
Permethrin must be used only on clothing.

Repellents containing oil of lemon eucalyptus are only effective against mosquitoes and are only equivalent to lower DEET concentrations.

Higher DEET percentage mean longer effectiveness, not increase effectiveness. Although higher concentration may be better for those who are more prone to insect bites.

Percentages of 25% or greater are often recommended to be more effective for repelling ticks.

10% DEET provides approximately 3 to 4 hours of protection.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that products used on children 13 and under should contain no more than 10% DEET. This translates to more frequent application. Picaridin is probably a safer alternative to use on children, and possibly for adults too.
Last edited by GizmoGuy411 on Mon 2010-06-14, 03:36:46, edited 35 times in total.
BlackBrownDog
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Re: Ticks & Mosquitos 101

Post by BlackBrownDog »

Frontline, when used monthly, had kept all ticks off of Emmy BBD.
thebutterflyeffect
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by thebutterflyeffect »

gross I am caching in a bee suit from now on!!!
[url=http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?A=349724:1xtoorhd][img:1xtoorhd]http://img.groundspeak.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=Click+here+to+view+my+stats!&uid=bbc002cc-9360-461d-9dca-c7c169642159&bg=2[/img:1xtoorhd][/url:1xtoorhd]
TheBearclaws
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by TheBearclaws »

Ever wonder how ticks manage to get on you? I used to care for some bluebird boxes in Secor Park and came home with as many as 16 ticks on me one day..I wondered "How do they do it?" Well, they kind of hitchhike a ride. Its my understanding that they can tell your coming past (feel the ground vibrations). They are already out on the tips of the grass and when they sense you they put out there little grappling hooks and try to get lucky enough to make contact with you. The best thing I was taught to do was already mentioned, wear light colored pants and socks (for tick visibility), tucking your pants into your socks. This way the little creeps cant get to your skin until they have time to crawl up. Its very helpful when out with a partner to take a break now and then and do a tick-check on each other(catch them in the act of crawling up).

This from Wikipedia "Ticks are often found in tall grass, where they will rest themselves at the tip of a blade so as to attach themselves to a passing animal or human. It is a common misconception that the tick can jump from the plant onto the host. Physical contact is the only method of transportation for ticks."
BlackBrownDog

Post by BlackBrownDog »

Does anyone get a Lyme Immunization for their dog? Our vet suggested this, only since we may be going into parts of Northern MI this summer. If we were just hiking OH, she said we probably wouldn't need it.
GizmoGuy411

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

thebutterflyeffect wrote:gross I am caching in a bee suit from now on!!!
I found your bug suit!

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/store ... d=12500226
Last edited by GizmoGuy411 on Sun 2006-09-24, 17:14:32, edited 1 time in total.
thebutterflyeffect
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by thebutterflyeffect »

that is soooo funny!!!LMAO
I used to help my grandpa with bees so maybe I can borrow his suit! LOL
[url=http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?A=349724:1xtoorhd][img:1xtoorhd]http://img.groundspeak.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=Click+here+to+view+my+stats!&uid=bbc002cc-9360-461d-9dca-c7c169642159&bg=2[/img:1xtoorhd][/url:1xtoorhd]
jslagle
Ninja Rabbit

Post by jslagle »

I had a tick in my arm. Everyone who was at the CITO should check themselves.
--
Jason Slagle
Official geek of nwogeo :D
GizmoGuy411

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

jason had a travel bug
BlackBrownDog

Post by BlackBrownDog »

He usually doesn't pick those up...
TheBearclaws

Post by TheBearclaws »

I remember reading an article about an extra large mosquito inhabiting our area. I think this is probably one of them in this photo. It was killed attacking Stumpy75 near the glacial grooves on Kelleys Island. Has anyone else seen one of these or have more info about them? They are sure impressive in size!
GizmoGuy411

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

This Blade article calls them, "gallinippers"!

Oh great! I hope yours did not have West Nile, since Lucas County ranked as having the 2nd highest number of cases in the state so far this September. Then again you found it in a county with zero reported cases!

TheBearclaws

Post by TheBearclaws »

Thats the article I read and Yes I think thats the right one. I never got a bite but I think Stumpy75 may have. It was a daylight attack and for some reason I think they may have been attracted by the color of his shirt. I killed the one in the photo and wish I would have put a dime next to it for comparison. The quarry we were in contained lots of bird species including a covey of Quail that at first flight we thought were Flickers. I wonder if they may have been feeding on mosquito larvae? Thanks GG for your reply and nice words regarding West Nile Virus. 8O
Stumpy75

Post by Stumpy75 »

Luckily, it didn't bite me, just landed on my back where "The Bearclaws" killed it. It was big enough to find in the grass after being swatted! 8O However, we did see quite a few of them, but none got any of my blood that I know of! :wink: :lol:
TheBearclaws

Post by TheBearclaws »

They're back ! Stumpy75 and I did some tick picking this weekend, he 4, me 2. Watch that tall grass.