Poison Ivy 101

Discussion about anything geocaching tech related! GPS Units, PDA's, Paperless Caching, etc. (For NWOGEO web issues, please use "Website Related Forums".)

Moderator: Steering Committee

McCombRef
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Re: POISON IVY 101

Post by McCombRef »

Here is a short article I found:

For many Americans, summer means fun in the sun wherever it may be. The kids are out of school, adults are on vacation and it's time for outdoor activities. But, just to make sure summer fun doesn’t turn sour or end prematurely because of the common menace poison ivy, following are a few tips to keep in mind.

Gardening, taking the hike through your back yard, or a day at the beach can become a recipe for misery when it comes to a plant called poison ivy. While "leaves of three leave it be," is the old saying, "leaflets of three leave it be" is even better because each leaf has three smaller leaflets. Beware of them at the edge of fields, forests, parking lots, roads, and in huge lush stands at beaches.

Unwashed clothes (especially shoes and laces), sporting or gardening equipment, pets, or anything that comes in contact with the plant can carry active sap for months! The sap is so potent, it can be passed from object to object a dozen times just by light contact, and the last object can still cause an intense rash. Wash everything especially if there is the slightest chance that it has come into contact with poison ivy.
stepshep
Regular Poster (100 - 199 posts)

Re: POISON IVY 101

Post by stepshep »

McCombRef wrote:I have always had good luck with a product called Rhuli-Gel. I haven't much luck locating it though. It is hard to find. When I do find it I buy 2-3 tubes of it so I don't run out very fast.

Yea I use Rhuli too, although Johnson and Johnson Bought out the name, it's the same product, but it's called something like Johnson's Itch Cream. Also Corticool works good.
PBZ

Re: Poison Ivy 101

Post by PBZ »

We were discussing poison ivy remedies at the CITO on Saturday. This is more of a prevention when used properly. Both Mr. PBZ and I have had good luck with a product called Tecnu. It's a cleanser that you can use if you come into contact with poison ivy. It doesn't smell very good but works like a charm. You apply it to dry skin, wait a couple minutes and rinse off with cool water. We've found it at most drug stores and I believe it's about $10 per bottle. We bought one bottle at the beginning of the season and still have some left.

Here's some more info -
Tecnu Info

It has worked every single time this year that I've come into contact with poison ivy and worked most of the time for Mr. PBZ. Unfortunately he missed a spot on one of his legs a couple different times this summer...oops!
Stumpy75
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by Stumpy75 »

Fels naptha soap works well too. It cuts the oil of the poison ivy. A little rough on the skin, but not too bad, and really better than poison ivy!
yogi57

Post by yogi57 »

I had my first case of poison ivy this year. I got it from hiding the poker run cards for the picnic. I had to go to the doctors for steroids and antibiotics. The doctor also told to watch the infection and if it went any higher on my arm go to ambulatory care for intravenous antibodics. This was the worst case I had in many years. I forgot the 1 rule was to shower after being in the woods. My wife got a few spots later in the week probably from washing my clothes.
Stumpy75

Post by Stumpy75 »

Wow! Kind of makes me glad I couldn't do the poker run! :snake: 8O

:trex:
Mighty_Mo
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by Mighty_Mo »

Obviously I was lucky as I didn't get any poison ivy during the poker run.

Leaves of 3 leave them be!
Stumpy75

Post by Stumpy75 »

Anybody notice how good of a crop of PI there seems to be this year? I usually don't get it, but I'm getting over quite a bad case of it right now. 1st time in years....

I've read that in certain years, you are much more likely to get it, and I think this is one of those years!
Mighty_Mo
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by Mighty_Mo »

Not sure about PI but I have had more ticks this than any
Bucknut63

Post by Bucknut63 »

I have got it three times this year so far,mostly because even though I know what to look for,when I am geocaching,I tend to focus only on the hunt the closer I get to ground zero.
jodie079
I am a Suspended Spammer
I am a Suspended Spammer

Post by jodie079 »

I tried once, but messed it all up!
[url=http://www.stopforumspam.com/search?q=117.18.231.17/:1cqvl428]don't sell your gold[/url:1cqvl428]