Going Paperless

Discussion about anything geocaching tech related! GPS Units, PDA's, Paperless Caching, etc. (For NWOGEO web issues, please use "Website Related Forums".)

Moderator: Steering Committee

yogi57
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Going Paperless

Post by yogi57 »

How many of you use pda to cache with? I was following the forums in CO Cachers and a lot of them use the pda to cache with. I made the switch last weekend and I think it will work out pretty decent. I use Cachemate for my pda program. I also use GSAK program to filter and organize the the caches before I convert them.
mattopia
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

cachemate rocks

Post by mattopia »

I use and --love-- CacheMate. I only used printouts for caching for my first 3 finds. I had an old handspring visor, and dropped the $7 on cachemate the same day.

i don't use any PC software at all. i have a few pocket queries set up at geocaching.com. three for various areas i cache in, set to NOT include found caches. I have a final query called "found caches" that gets run every other day, and only includes caches I have found. This makes it easy to keep track if I ever want to. I've used that query to build maps, etc.

So, my procedure before going caching is I dump all waypoints off of my GPS, I completely empty out CacheMate, and I load both up with the latest pocket query. Doesn't take but about 5 minutes.

I would recommend using a PDA that isn't an uber expensive one. Mine has already become pretty beat up from frequent geocaching use.
Ranger510

PDA

Post by Ranger510 »

After reading this forum topic, I had to try using PDA. Picked up a Palm m500 on EBAY for 40 bucks, got cache mate and my premium membership and downloaded a bunch of caches. I tried it caching in BG last week. It was great. No fumbling through paperwork between caches. Also found I could use the thing at work. Also picked up a metal case for it, cheap. Glad I did as I bang the thing around a bit. Thanks for the great idea.
Ranger510
Shasties

Post by Shasties »

If you want to go completly electronic, check out this program http://www.rjrudy.org/geo.html#palm for your palm (Palm OS only I'm afraid). It was written by ABXGuy out of Traverse City (Mich). It's called Cache Logbook V1.3 and you can log all your information right at the cache; date, time, what you took, what you left, TB info, and any notes you might want to include. After a day of caching I just sit down in front of the computer and update my log information. No more paper notes to carry.
SherwoodForest

Post by SherwoodForest »

And don't forget GSAK -- which will take the data in from your PQ's -- ship the waypoints out to the GPSr (with more intelligible names than just the GC#### -- if you want it to), and can send the data out in the format that CacheMate uses -- so one step from PQ to PDA (instead of the three steps for those of us who are still using Spinner/Plucker to get it onto the PDA -- which will change once I finally get the full version of CacheMate...
Papade
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by Papade »

I use my Casio Cassiopeia equipped with Windows CE and MobiPockets. I have my weekly queries sent in the format for the MobiPockets. Its an old unit but still works great.
[url=http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=67b91dd6-5e8a-4f20-a4da-d99020c3a4bd:3aqvovpe][img:3aqvovpe]http://www.geocaching.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=67b91dd6-5e8a-4f20-a4da-d99020c3a4bd[/img:3aqvovpe][/url:3aqvovpe]