Android users tech (CacheMate,GeoBeagle, ect..)

Discussion about anything geocaching tech related! GPS Units, PDA's, Paperless Caching, etc. (For NWOGEO web issues, please use "Website Related Forums".)

Moderator: Steering Committee

RustyNail09
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Android users tech (CacheMate,GeoBeagle, ect..)

Post by RustyNail09 »

This is a place to openly talk about geocaching applications for the Android OS for mobile phones. I currently have experiences with Cachemate, Geobeagle, and GeoDroid. Personally, my preference is Cachemate. With Geocaching.com working on an app. themselves, I will have that on my phone as soon as it is released.
jackrob
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Re: Android users tech (CacheMate,GeoBeagle, ect..)

Post by jackrob »

I love app c:geo! It's free on the Droid market and is absolutely fabulous. Typical day -- leave the house with my phone, zero preparation. Turn on the phone's gps, open c:geo. Then you get options to find caches by your gps location (I always use this), by coordinates, by address, or by geocode. Finding nearby, you get a list in a couple of seconds (see images on the link below). Click on one and you get the whole cache description and logs (you can control what you see). I love the "turn-by-turn" directions for driving in the car navigating with Google Maps. Once close by, I like to switch to "radar" mode with a couple of finger-clicks. I have found the Droid's gps is actually more accurate than my Garmin HCx. Once you find the cache, you can also log it right on the spot.

All that for FREE.

http://www.mobiletopsoft.com/board/7297 ... vices.html
jackrob

Post by jackrob »

Here's another app that is complimentary to c:geo called "GPS Status" and also free.

http://eclipsim.com/gpsstatus/

You can see the screenshots at the link and read about the program. Tells you how many satellites you are connected to and the strength, plus much more. You can also use it as the c:geo "radar" if you wish.
SuchaNana
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by SuchaNana »

is this garminphone android part of what y'all were discussing? ( a little cut & paste from email today)

Introducing Garminfone, the first Android™-powered smartphone fully-integrated with Garmin’s premium navigation experience. With Garminfone, your email, contacts, and calendar content is synced wirelessly – so you’ll always have the right information in the right place at the right time.

Garminfone also offers users a rich mobile Web experience with integrated Google™ mobile services including Google Search by voice, Google Maps™, YouTube® and access to the Android Market, where you’ll find thousands of applications to make the most of this full-featured smartphone.

Visit Garminfone.com to find out more about Garminfone and how it connects your worlds.

It's available for purchase now only from T-Mobile.

just about the time i learn something,
then a new kid invents something else !!!
SuchaNana...Life is STILL an Adventure...
jackrob

Post by jackrob »

SuchaNana wrote:is this garminphone android part of what y'all were discussing? [/color][/b]
Kind of....the new Garminfone is an Android based phone that could run "apps" like c:geo, GPS Status, and many others.

c:geo could be added to this phone, and other Android based phones to do geocaching.
gsmom59
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by gsmom59 »

Which phones do you guys have?
jackrob

Post by jackrob »

I personally have the Motorola Droid.

Incidentally, c:geo has been upgraded to allow offline caching. It also now has a full blown map that shows caches in the area, and you can access cache info by "clicking" on an icon on the map.
RustyNail09

Post by RustyNail09 »

I'm on a rooted 2.2 moto droid. Mainly using cachemate for everything, and gps status on the side just for back-up
TeamMina
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by TeamMina »

Android now boasts the official geocaching.com app!

September 16, 2010 3:24 PM PDT
by Antuan Goodwin Font sizePrintE-mailShare3 comments Yahoo! Buzz
. Share 500diggsdigg

Android users can now participate in the game of Geocaching with the official Groundspeak app.

Geocaching, my favorite non-sport, now has an official app for Android with the release of Groundspeak's Geocaching app for Android phones. With this app, users can tap directly into Geocaching.com's database of GPS-tagged hiding spots and containers, called geocaches, and use their GPS-equipped Android phone participate in the world's largest on-going treasure hunt. The geocaches usually contain a log of some sort and, occassionally, small trinkets. Once found, users log their find, take a trinket, leave a trinket, and the game goes on.

Groundspeak's app isn't the first geocaching app for Android users (we've had access to apps like GeoBeagle and OpenGPX for some time now) and it's not even the first official Geocaching.com app from Groundspeak (that honor belongs the Geocaching iPhone app), but does look like the easiest way for Android users to get into the game of geocaching without an investment in dedicated GPS equipment or fiddling with a notebook.

The app uses GPS to determine your approximate location. It then pulls data from the Geocaching.com database in real-time for the geocaches located near the handset. This info is viewable in a list or on a map. Users can also search by address or GC code for a specific area or cache. Once a cache is chosen, users are given access to details, including description, photo gallery, attributes, recent logs, hint and inventory.

The Geocaching app gives cachers access to a massive amount of info that's useful for finding hidden caches.

(Credit: Groundspeak/Geocaching.com) Along the way, the app will help navigate with a simulated compass arrow that point users towards their selected cache, multiple waypoints for multipoint caches and routing, and access to a map screen that can be switched between street and satellite views. Once the cache is located, users can document their find and post notes or hints for other cachers on Geocaching.com without leaving the application.

If your phone does not support GPS, the app can still use the cellular network or Wi-Fi to approximate your location. However, GPS is sort of the point here, so we don't recommend you waste your time if your phone isn't packing a GPS receiver. (But feel free to check out some of our previously reviewed standalone geocaching devices.) And if your geocaching adventures take you beyond the safety of your cellular provider's coverage map, the app can still access locally stored cached data and maps.

Android owners running Android OS version 1.5 and higher can download Groundspeak's Geocaching for Android Application from the Android Market for $9.99. (Link only works on Android devices.)
harold
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by harold »

My wife and I each have a moto Droid running c:geo. Got a real Garmin when it was time to set out our own hides.
JokerCM

Post by JokerCM »

I started caching in November, officially. I was using a P-20 I think it was. I had planned on getting an Android phone around the same time frame as it was. I had done alot of reading on the different apps for Geocaching out their. Read reviews by users and professionals. When the time came to get a phone. I started with the c:geo app. At this point in time I was using the gps handheld as well as the phone. To compare accuracy and ease of usage. I quickly found the phone was almost as good as the handheld. The handheld could handle a couple more satillites. But, the phone was getting me to within a couple feet of the hides in about 90-95% of the time. I knew the major advantage of the phone would be the ability to log finds at the time of find. I had plans on trying out a couple of the other caching apps, but found c:geo to be very user friendly and extremely easy to navigate. Someone else mentioned the gps status app. This app must be installed in order to use the fucntion of "radar" on c:geo. It is a third means as to find hides. Giving the user two forms of compass (use gps and use compass bearings) and the radar. The radar looks like a small radar map with rings showing distances and a dot that moves representing the cache coords. The use is the center of the radar. I found this not the easiest way to find them, but many do.

The convienence of being able to cache at a moments notice is very nice. With little to no preperation. Is the android apps for everyone? I say in a big way, no. Many people enjoy the prep work involved. However, people using the android app to cache shouldn't be looked upon as less of a cacher because they do not use a "true" handheld. To the contrary, the technology that goes in to a phone is ampng the most cutting edge in the world.
sm_geo
Regular Poster (100 - 199 posts)

Post by sm_geo »

I've read through these posts, but was interested in any new info anyone may have. I just got a droid x and was wondering what geocaching apps anyone familiar with them recommends.

Still undecided on whether I want to pay for Groundspeak's ($9.99) or get one of the free ones. I still plan on really using my 60csx, because I don't want to cache entirely with my phone, but I'm liking the app option. Thanks.

Steve (sm geo)
allenite
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by allenite »

I have the official Geocaching App, GeoBeagle, and carry a handheld at all times. Each app I have for its own uses.

I use GeoBeagle, if I am looking for a cache I have already found or one of my own, if I forgot the exact location and nothing seems familiar. The interface is a bit more cumbersome, since it takes you to geocaching.com for search results versus loading into into the program directly. I just grab the coords from here and plug into my handheld. If you use the program's interface to find the cache, you click on the "Google Maps" link under "For Online Maps..." on the cache page and then click on GeoBeagle at the resulting prompt.

I use the Geocaching App much more frequently than the previous app. I leave the Geocaching App defaulted to hide my finds and my caches and use it for added support on the field, if I am outside what is loaded on my GPSr or in the case I am carrying my older Garmin for paperless features. One of the latest updates for this app gave it a much cleaner appearance and it seems to be more stable, but I don't use it for my primary caching device, so I can't say that for certain. You do have 24 hours to return it for a full refund in the market place. There is a quick setting (much easier than previous versions) to alternate between posting logs directly or uploading them to your Field Notes so you can edit the log before posting. I do some logging with the phone, but since my DeLorme has Field Notes, I usually use that instead.

I almost always punch coords into my handheld, since I have found my phone is habitually 40+ foot off and not as stable in keeping a consistent location as the handheld.
GrizzFlyer

Post by GrizzFlyer »

Have a Samsung Fascinate here running a Droid OS. That AMOLED screen (also on the new Charge, I think) is extremely clear and bright. Using c:geo mostly, it works well and is usually fairly fast. Great for caching on the fly, without previous preparation. Looked at gc.com's app on two other cachers phones, both said skip it, so I did. I use Cachemate on my computers, but don't have it on the phone yet. Also uploaded GeoBeagle, and like some features of it but it requires a file upload for the area you're going to. I think anyway, its confusing to me so I just do it that way. Maybe somebody that is familiar with it can give me a couple of pointers on it at a meeting sometime. Nice interface graphics though. I use Software Data Cable to wirelessly transfer files from the desk computer to the Samsung, don't have to dismount and remove the SD card that way. Requires a wireless network connection between the host computer and your phone. Very fast.

Other good caching apps are GPS Essentials and GPS Status, previously mentioned. GCC (Geocaching Calculator) has some helpful mini-apps for those of you who do puzzles and might need something out in the field. Then there is Google Earth for some decent sat shots if needed and you don't like what gc.com is providing at the moment.

There are a LOT of other geocaching apps at the Market that I haven't even looked at, but c:geo seems to be the clear winner so far. Will have to try Cachemate for the phone though, just have to give Clyde another $8. :)

Most of you folks don't care about benchmarking too much, but a new benchmarking app will be out soon.
Geocaching.com Charter Member
NWOGEO Charter Member

GrizzFlyer

Post by GrizzFlyer »

Forgot to mention in my previous post today.... The reason many phone locations are so far off is because some phones use 2 different types of methods to determine location. One is by actual GPS coordinates (very accurate and fast) and the other by cell tower triangulation (much less accurate and s-l-o-w). The GPS coords are only used when the unit is traveling at 5kph (3mph) or greater. The triangulation method is used at slower speeds and when not moving. Of course, there are always exceptions, like when calling E911, and I suspect some apps like GPS Status do access the GPS coords at all times. C:geo seems to follow the 3mph rule when placing a new current location on a map, as it finds a new location quickly if moving in a vehicle or during a brisk walk, but much slower when standing still.
Geocaching.com Charter Member
NWOGEO Charter Member