Geomate Jr.

Discussion about anything geocaching tech related! GPS Units, PDA's, Paperless Caching, etc. (For NWOGEO web issues, please use "Website Related Forums".)

Moderator: Steering Committee

GoodDog
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Geomate Jr.

Post by GoodDog »

I was reading the Groundspeak email, which I hardly ever do, and saw an ad form them about the Geomate Jr. gps. What a deal. for $69 you get a basic gps with 250,000 geocaches preloaded. The gps can ony add one waypoint (your car, home etc,) a few more would have been nice, and has no bells and whistles which I don't use anyway. For an additinal $24 you can buy an upgrade kit that allows you to get new geocaches. What a great way for a non techie to get started or get a kid involved. I may send my new Oregon back.
2trux
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Re: Geomate Jr.

Post by 2trux »

They were demonstrating them at GeoWoodstock this year. As I recollect, the target audience was geocaching kids. While the parents would be using their good GPS, the kids could use one of these.

The only use I *might* have for it, would be to get around the 500 waypoint maximiums in a PQ. If I've got 250k in the device and happen to be out and about, perhaps I can find a cache based on just the coordinates.