Garmin "Colorado", "Dakota" & "

Discussion about anything geocaching tech related! GPS Units, PDA's, Paperless Caching, etc. (For NWOGEO web issues, please use "Website Related Forums".)

Moderator: Steering Committee

GizmoGuy411
Uber Level Poster (2k - 2999 posts)

Garmin "Colorado", "Dakota" & "

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

Here are some links to a site with good technical information about the Garmin Colorado, Dakota and Oregon PND models:

Colorado: http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/
[img width=150 height=150]https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/asset ... /cf-lg.jpg[/img]

Dakota: http://garmindakota.wikispaces.com/
[img width=150 height=150]http://garmindakota.wikispaces.com/file ... g/80577413[/img]

Oregon: http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/
[img width=150 height=150]http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/file/view/lf-lg.jpg[/img]

The information available is different for each series. Some topics covered include: (see their left navigation menu for content available)

"Versions" - model versions and software version history
"Review" - includes a list of reviews elsewhere on the web
"Issue List" - comprehensive and includes a wish list
"Colorado vs 60csx" - comparison
"Colorado vs Oregon" - comparison

[hr]
NWOGEO Colorado/Dakota/Oregon Rollcall as of 2009/12/25:
bioteacher (~12/08) - Colorado
jhenkel (~12/08) - Colorado
linzypooh49 (<~09/09) - Colorado
mrreet (<~09/29/09) - Dakota 20
RustyNail09 (<~09/09) - Oregon 200
TeamAldridge (<~09/09) - Oregon ?
thunter16148 (<~09/09) - Colorado
GoodDog (<~11/09) - Oregon 400T
yogi57 (12-25-09) Oregon 300
Last edited by GizmoGuy411 on Fri 2009-12-25, 21:14:17, edited 25 times in total.
cachergirl27
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Re: Garmin Colorado Info & Discussion

Post by cachergirl27 »

Thanks to Gizmo for putting this wealth of info on here for us non-techies! Some light reading for cold winter afternoons! :)
T-Hunter

Post by T-Hunter »

Does anyone own an Oregon? My g/f wants one and I know nothing about them. I just want to make sure she gets something that will be easy to operate. The choices are the oregon and the colorado.

If you aren't FTF, you're last to find.
cachergirl27

Post by cachergirl27 »

I've not had any experience w/the Oregon. The Colorado is VERY easy to operate, heck I can do it so it's gotta be easy. I've had trouble loading the maps on the Colorado & you have to recalibrate the compass a lot. That's my 2 cents worth on that! :D
GoodDog

Re: Garmin "Colorado" & "Oregon" Inf

Post by GoodDog »

So, it turns out there is a limited number of times you can drop a Magellen and have it function. Somewhere around 50. After a recent bike trip with THunter and Yogi, I reached that limit. So, I'm thinking of a Colorado. It would solve my problem of not being capable of paperless caching so far, and the screen looks awsome. The origional $599 was way to much for me, but I can now get one for $348.

>If you are familiar with the product, does it work well and are there any major problems? I see Jen likes the ease of use, but ease is relative. I never figured out what all the screens were on my 5 yr. old Magellen.

> I think I read somewhere that it will only show one cache on the map page at a time, or maybe that's a setting. My dead M. would show so many you couldn't read the map. It would be nice to have a few more than one though, or the ability to show more if you wished.

> How easy is it to set up the cache page descriptions?

> does the wheel get in the way and caught on pockets etc?

I've read lots of reviews, they are mostly good (except battery life) but I'd like some local input if you have any.
cachergirl27

Post by cachergirl27 »

Mike -
I really do like the Colorado & it's easy to use and very functional. The only major problem I've come across is sometimes (ie once every 2-3 months) it "crashes" and you have to do a hard reboot which is super easy.
The screens are easy to navigate and I haven't come across any that I don't understand.
You see multiple caches on the maps & I have had so many you can't see the map (you can zoom in & out using the wheel), so that's not a correct statement about the Colorado.
The cache page descriptions automatically transfer in when you load your pocket query or download the specific cache to the Colorado. There's no setup needed for it.
The wheel can get caught if you put it in your pocket, the most it's going to do is zoom your map in/out or move you around on the description. It comes with a great carabiner clip that I use & I know T-Hunter uses his.
The battery life is an issue on both the Colorado & Oregon, but I use rechargeables & on a 3 day trip I did go through about 8 of my rechargeables, but that was with my GPS on ALL the time (24 hrs/day).
Overall, I like it, it's easy to use & navigate. The compass can be a bit wonky, but if you calibrate it everytime you switch batteries, you should be fine. Compared to the Oregon, I like the Colorado better, but only because I tend to touch the screen alot & the Oregon is a touchscreen, and I mess up what I'm on! The Oregon also doesn't have a direct menu function like the Colorado.
I'll bring it to the Picnic on Sunday if you want to mess with it a little, or T-Hunter has his you can mess with the next time you see him!
linzypooh49
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by linzypooh49 »

I have a Colorado after having the Garmin 60. It took just a little practice to get used to its features and then I was running around without any issues.
--Better accuracy seemed to be experienced.
--The recalibrating the compass was is something that I have to do more often than just when I change batteries, but once calibrated the arrow points you straight there. If you can do the circle dance to get it recalibrated without people laughing at you then you are in good shape.
--Love the paperless option. That has saved me a lot of time by not having to look up the cache on the Blackberry while on the go.
--I have had issues with mine not wanting to start up with fresh batteries. I will take the batteries out and then put those same batteries in and then it will run all day on them. Don't know if that is a glitch with my Colorado, my batteries(usually rechargeable) or me.
--Ease of transfer(though I have never tried the Colorado to Colorado transfer which sounds really cool).
--I am very happy with my Colorado. People ask more questions about this GPSr because it looks cool.
Good luck in your decisions
cachergirl27

Post by cachergirl27 »

The wireless transfer option ROCKS! LP49! I have done this with T-Hunter's Colorado & TeamAldridge's Oregon, they both work WONDERFULLY! You can pick a single cache or the whole query. If you're having issue with the screen fading out or the unit not starting up, try to "hard reboot" which is holding down the two soft keys while powering on. That usually resets the whole system, I do that infrequently.
yogi57

Post by yogi57 »

I've been thinking about getting a Colorado next time I get a gps.
ScouterJoe

Post by ScouterJoe »

A friend of mine (MozzDog) bought the Oregon. It's very cool. Wish I could afford one.
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

This is just the type of info I was looking for. I'll check out Jen's at the Bird's Eye picnic tomorrow. If someone has an Oregon I'd like to compare the two. As far as I can tell the only difference is either a touch screen on the Oregon or the wheel on the Colorado. For some reason, you can get a better price on the Colorado now.
RustyNail09
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by RustyNail09 »

I personally have a Oregon 200 I picked up for dirt cheap at bass pro on sale. The only problems I have had with mine is that if I do not lock the screen and place it in my pocket, a couple of options are changed on my compass screen.

also like mentioned before, it does suck down batteries I can get 4-5 days of using the GPS for 3-4 hrs./day with the blacklight set to 1 min. timeout.

Mind you, this is the 200. this is the base model of oregon but, it does have a microSD slot under the batteries and I can fit maps plus a ton of GPX/pocket querys on it plus a 24mb internal memory if you absolutely need it, I have yet to with a 2gb card.

I will be at the BG M&E if you want to toy around with the stripped out Oregon.
mrreet
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Post by mrreet »

I have a Dakota 20 ... and so far I have been impressed with it.
yogi57

Post by yogi57 »

I was checking on a Colorado's and found a 300 model for $268 at Sam's Club online.
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

yogi57 wrote:I was checking on a Colorado's and found a 300 model for $268 at Sam's Club online.
The C-300 doesn't have the ToPo maps, but I wonder if they are really worth the $80 difference from the C 400. Do you really need the ToPo? I could see it if you were an avid mountain hiker or hunter, but that ship has sailed for me.

> Also, the Oregons have a micro SD slot, and the Colorado's a SD slot. I think Lynns computer may take a SD, but how do you load anything onto a micro SD?

> 'll probably wait for Thanksgiving Day sales to choose. I hope to play with T-Hunters Colorado T this weekend, and I still need to take time to see how the touch screen on the Oregon works. I think either one will be fine and I like the idea that since these are the new standard and with more people getting them, we can beam each other. I wonder if Yogi could beam me all the PQ's from his house? :roll: