BlackBerry geocaching /w Blackstar Navigation and CacheBerry

Discussion about anything geocaching tech related! GPS Units, PDA's, Paperless Caching, etc. (For NWOGEO web issues, please use "Website Related Forums".)

Moderator: Steering Committee

TheMetalSteve
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Re: BlackBerry geocaching /w Blackstar Navigation and CacheB

Post by TheMetalSteve »

Excellent... I had no idea the GPS was free w/ the data plan (which I currently have). I'll be checking this out!
TheMetalSteve

Post by TheMetalSteve »

What's the accuracy like with this program?

(I'm going to assume better than my eXplorist 210... LOL!)
Handyman-N-Fam
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

I could use some help figuring out how to retrieve my Field Notes from Cacheberry. Any software I have looked at either doesn't recognize the BB, or doesn't recognize Cacheberry.
GizmoGuy411
Uber Level Poster (2k - 2999 posts)

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

Handyman-N-Fam wrote:I could use some help figuring out how to retrieve my Field Notes from Cacheberry. Any software I have looked at either doesn't recognize the BB, or doesn't recognize Cacheberry.
I have not used the Field Notes feature myself, so I can't say how you would do that off hand. I'll look around however and see if I can find out.
McCombRef
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by McCombRef »

Just got the BB Tour yesterday and am going to try out the BlackStar soon. I seem to have it working. :pirate:
hammbh
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by hammbh »

I have the Blackberry Tour through Verizon and it's a bit of a love hate relationship for me. The browser is awfully slow at times and geocaching.com does not work on the default browser that came installed on the phone. I have to either go to wap.geocaching.com or use the Opera Mini web browser, which is a free download, to view the Website. I think the Storm may be better in this situation.

I have BlackStar and CacheBerry installed but I am sad that Geocache Navigator is not compatible with my phone. I've heard a lot of great things about it which have sparked my interest.

I've been dreaming of an iPhone, mainly because I have an all Mac workspace, but I'm holding out for when it comes to Verizon....if it ever will! The new Android phones look awfully tempting though as well! I think if I had to buy a phone today I may switch to a Droid. They seem to have more applications available (including the Geocache Navigator) than my Tour does.

I do, for the most part, like my Blackberry and get a ton of use out of all the smartphone features it offers. If you know a lot of people who own Blackberrys, then you have the ability to instant message with them, which is much quicker and more organized than standard texting. Also, it makes you feel like you're in a secret society. :P

On a side note. Does anybody own a Garmin Oregon unit?(I know this belongs on a different forum, but it looks as if those have not been looked at recently)Anyway, I'm looking at buying one. Please e-mail me if you can give me some insight on them. Thanks! hammbh@gmail.com
mrreet

Post by mrreet »

hammbh wrote:
On a side note. Does anybody own a Garmin Oregon unit?(I know this belongs on a different forum, but it looks as if those have not been looked at recently)Anyway, I'm looking at buying one. Please e-mail me if you can give me some insight on them. Thanks! hammbh@gmail.com
There is a lot of info here:
Forums/viewtopic/t=1796.html