basic GPSr advice, please!

Discussion about anything geocaching tech related! GPS Units, PDA's, Paperless Caching, etc. (For NWOGEO web issues, please use "Website Related Forums".)

Moderator: Steering Committee

pezfreek9
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

basic GPSr advice, please!

Post by pezfreek9 »

Hi everyone. I'm brand new to the area and pretty darn new to geocaching as well. I have browsed the forum here, but most of it is too technical for me. I am looking to purchase my first GPSr (up until now I've been borrowing one), but I have no idea where to start really. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to buy?? Here's some more info on what I'm looking for...

I think I'll go with Garmin since people I know have recommended them...
I want something affordable and not too fancy.
I don't want anything too fancy, but do want a mapping unit.
Any real benefit to one with color display or no?
Some I have been considering: eTrex Vista, eTrex Legend (HCx maybe?), eTrex Venture HC, eTrex Summit HC.

Can anyone offer me some useful advice/suggestions/warnings without getting too technical and confusing me more?? :)

Thanks!
yogi57
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Re: basic GPSr advice, please!

Post by yogi57 »

I don't know too much about garmin products but a nice Magellan try a Explorist 210 or 500LE.
This is bundle with mapping software
500 LE
GizmoGuy411
Uber Level Poster (2k - 2999 posts)

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

I think you are on the right track with the choices you are considering.

In no particular order, here are some considerations:

1) Since you mentioned that you want mapping, then you should seriously consider a color display. Detail on a screen in just shades of grey are much harder to see.

2) If you don't travel much or far, then you may be OK with units with only built-in memory. Just remember that 24mb will not hold a lot of maps, and you have to reload maps every time you travel to an area that is outside of the current area you have loaded. With a unit that accepts the MicroSD cards, you can put the entire United States on one 2gb card. Oh yeah... you DO understand that the mapping units only come with very basic internal "basemaps". You will need to buy separate mapping software to get any kind of detail. That will add about $100 to your cost. Some deal shopping is in order. Bundled package deals may be available.

Also don't buy preloaded cards! Buy the mapping software on disc instead and load you own card. You can find great deals on blank cards. If you lose or damage a card, you still have your mapping software on disc. The mapping software can also be used on your computer, since that is how you load the memory card.

3) High Sensitivity receivers are worth the bucks! When you get into a thick woods you will appreciate a GPS unit that still can get the satellite signals!

4) I really like the compass feature personally. I could care less about the altimeter than also comes with the units that have a compass. However the cost for the compass feature is pretty steep. You also need to calibrate them regularly for them to work right.

Units without a compass will only show the correct direction while you are moving. (I think you need to be moving at least 2mph.) You can always carry an old fashion magnetic compass and save some money on the GPS unit.

Take look at the list of people who own the GPSMAP60/76 series here and you can compare how many people have bought compass units vs those who did not. (Look at the bottom of this post: http://nwogeo.org/Forums/viewtopic/t=564.html )

5) Use the "COMPARE" feature at Garmin.com to see the units you are considering. You can then weed out units to narrow your choices based on side-by-side comparison of features. To bad you can't easily compare them against the Magellan units!

6) Caution! Garmin has policy of non-support of products purchase via auction sites such as eBay! Read Garmin's fine print before buying online.

Hope this was not too technical, and good luck making your purchase choice!
ScouterJoe

Post by ScouterJoe »

don't go lower than the Garmin Legend HCx. Without the high sensitivity chip the legends will lose satalites in a good cloud cover, or as I think Cheech said, 'within a 100 feet of the nearest pine tree'.

I like the cheaper Magellans. Go with a 500. It's got base mapping, color screen and it will interface with your computer. It'll pick up satalites inside your house. Best of all, you can get one on eBay for about $110 to $120.
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

I rarely use the maps, they just confuse me. I let the other cachers with me get us to the site, and I find the caches :lol: I use a Magellen that has maps (not color) , but I do agree with Gizmo that if you are going to use them, the color is much better.

The last two times I bought a gps on line at http://thegpsstore.com/
There is always something on sale and if you have a question you can actually call them up and talk to a real person.
TeamMina
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by TeamMina »

Wish we'd had all that info when we started. We'd grabbed a Magellan to start, but exchanged it since we saw the geocaching site was set up for easy Garmin downloads.
Telling you, those pine trees can really sneak up on you!
GizmoGuy411

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

TeamMina wrote:Wish we'd had all that info when we started. We'd grabbed a Magellan to start, but exchanged it since we saw the geocaching site was set up for easy Garmin downloads.
Telling you, those pine trees can really sneak up on you!
Oh yeah! I forgot about the point that Geocaching.com has some features that are geared ONLY to Garmin units. Althought I still like to print out the cache pages when I geocache, I do like the direct download to GPS Unit feature. I saves me from manually entering the corridinates incorrectly. Maybe I'm slightly dyslexic(sp).
ScouterJoe

Post by ScouterJoe »

This is a nice feature. I wish I had it. Magellan's geocache manager doesn't apparently work in Vista either. :-(
pezfreek9

Post by pezfreek9 »

Wow, thanks for all the great tips. This has been very helpful...though now I realize I might have to spend more money than I was originally planning on. :)

Is there a specific mapping software I should go with?? Where is the best place to look for bundled packages? thegpsstore.com??

I'm excited!!
pezfreek9

Post by pezfreek9 »

Oh wait...one more Q...is there a good place to buy them in person, or is it best online?
GizmoGuy411

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

pezfreek9 wrote:Wow, thanks for all the great tips. This has been very helpful...though now I realize I might have to spend more money than I was originally planning on. :)

Is there a specific mapping software I should go with?? Where is the best place to look for bundled packages? thegpsstore.com??

I'm excited!!
If you are planning on getting one of the Garmin's, then they have a feature on their website that matches the software to the model (or model series) that you are considering.

Locally, some of us Garmin owners use Topograpic software for geocaching, and use City Navigator for everything else. Although I have a copy of Topo software, I do not use it often. It has also not been updated for quite a while. The City Nav map software was just updated last year.

The deals for GPS units, software and bundles move around a lot. Once you pick a model, try using the Google Shopping feature to see what results you get. Otherwise, maybe someone else here who has made a recent purchase will have better insight on the latest deals.

Also look at our overly technical post here about the GPSMAP 60/76 Series units. We have a list there of some good places to look for deals on units.
pezfreek9 wrote:Oh wait...one more Q...is there a good place to buy them in person, or is it best online?
There are not too many places where you can even buy them in person locally. I think Gander Mountain has the biggest selection around here. Dick's used to carry some, then there is Cabella's in Dundee that has some. Target also has a couple of low end models. But yes you guessed right, if you want a good price then you need to shop online.
Last edited by GizmoGuy411 on Mon 2008-02-18, 18:06:09, edited 1 time in total.
BlackBrownDog
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by BlackBrownDog »

Our family has purchased units from GPSnow.com and Gpscity.com without incident. If buying a mapping unit, color is essestial if you might use it with driving. The "x" in the name of the unit is helpful if you don't want to loose signal in the woods or downtown areas.
WinChester2.0
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by WinChester2.0 »

I agree with Gizmo's observations. You're not going to find much in the way of handheld GPS or accessories in a department or electronics store. A few of the basic units are available, but even those aren't always priced competitively with what is available online. My Garmin came from tigergps.com, as did the mapping software I ordered a month later.
yogi57

Post by yogi57 »

WinChester2.0 wrote:I agree with Gizmo's observations. You're not going to find much in the way of handheld GPS or accessories in a department or electronics store. A few of the basic units are available, but even those aren't always priced competitively with what is available online. My Garmin came from tigergps.com, as did the mapping software I ordered a month later.
I order from tigergps.com also
pezfreek9

Post by pezfreek9 »

Thank you, everyone, for the helpful tips and advice! :D