basic GPSr advice, please!

Discussion about anything geocaching tech related! GPS Units, PDA's, Paperless Caching, etc. (For NWOGEO web issues, please use "Website Related Forums".)

Moderator: Steering Committee

HideAndZeek
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Re: basic GPSr advice, please!

Post by HideAndZeek »

Hi :) I'm a newbie and haven't even purchased a gps receiver, yet alone gone geocaching yet. I'm fairly savvy with the computer and have read the Idiot's Guide to Geocaching. We hike and travel a great deal so I will need lots of basemaps in color. We also have a boat and are interested in marine gps as well. Will the same gps unit work for both land and marine purposes? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what unit and maps I will want to purchase? We plan on searching for our first cache in West Virginia next weekend, so any prompt replies would be greatly appreciated.

Also, the new Bass Pro Shop in Rossford, Ohio has a pretty good selection of gps units and a knowledgeable salesperson who swears by Garmin.

Kellie

**Kudos to NW Ohio Geocachers on adopting the highway outside Providence Metropark**
GizmoGuy411
Uber Level Poster (2k - 2999 posts)

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

Many us here are Garmin users and are of course partial to them. The favorite higher end unit amoung us is the Garmin GPSMAP60CSx unit.

Other newer units such as the Colorado cost bit and have a few more features.

The higher end units all have base maps built-in and the ability to load additional maps such as Street, Topo and I think Marine.

Visit the Garmin website and look at the handheld units, and use the online feature to comare them. Also look at the compatible software to make sure you can load Marine maps.

I'm sure someone else will have some helpful suggestions.
cheechgang
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by cheechgang »

I have the 60Cx as well and would recommend it.
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
ScouterJoe
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by ScouterJoe »

Gizmo's right. We are all rather particular about our brands. I like Magellan for the cost to benefit ratio. The Triton 500 is about 1/2 the 60Cx's price. I just saw one for $249 at Walmart.

Also think eBay. There are some great deals there.