Nokia Buys Navtec

Discussion about anything geocaching tech related! GPS Units, PDA's, Paperless Caching, etc. (For NWOGEO web issues, please use "Website Related Forums".)

Moderator: Steering Committee

BlackBrownDog
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Nokia Buys Navtec

Post by BlackBrownDog »

FROM GEOCHUMS...
Came across this while checking out one of the blogs I follow for work. Interesting quote:
This is especially harsh news for Garmin. They are now stuck with the choice of getting their data from two competiors. They currently get their data from NAVTEQ, a company that will be owned by a soon-to-be direct competitor; their other option is to buy data from TomTom, already a direct competitor.
Not sure where this will leave mapping on the Garmin. If I was Nokia and wanting to get into the GPSr market, I would be cutting Garmin off. Same with TomTom/TeleAtlas.

Lots of speculation though. Nokia maybe looking for away to provide better maps on its phones and sees this as a way to that end and as a revenue stream.
cheechgang
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Re: Nokia Buys Navtec

Post by cheechgang »

SOLUTION:

Just petition all the state and local governments to allow no new roads and we can continue to use the maps we have. :twisted:
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
ScouterJoe
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by ScouterJoe »

Garmin probably has contracts in place to get this data that Nokia/Navtec will have to honor. That will probably give them time to source new data. I believe the new magallans are getting their data from National Geograpic. So there are obviously other sources than just those two.
Flooder
Regular Poster (100 - 199 posts)

Post by Flooder »

It's not that odd for companies to buy from their competitors.

I work for a global supplier of Electrical Switchgear and we sell meters and software to a direct competitor and they re-brand it.
[url=http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?A=346139:36g34h2k][img:36g34h2k]http://www.geocaching.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=Does+it+work+now?&uid=91b64d94-7f7f-4f21-b54c-21a22984e3f5&bg=2[/img:36g34h2k][/url:36g34h2k]