Off Topic Forum

Suggestions for website & website related help requests and problem notification.

Moderator: Steering Committee

Dubbin1
Regular Poster (100 - 199 posts)

Off Topic Forum

Post by Dubbin1 »

Considering most of the traffic in the General forum is off topic for Geocaching maybe a Off Topic Forum should be started. Everytime I check the forum and see that there is a new post I get disappointed to see that it is almost always the MENSA Madness!, LAST POST STANDING II or the POST-A-JOKE threads. All of which have nothing to do with Geocaching.
McCombRef
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Re: Off Topic Forum

Post by McCombRef »

Being that I am as guilty as anyone for posting in the Post a joke and Mensa threads, I would be OK with having an Off Topic forum.

I guess the only thing I see wrong with it is that the most recent list will still show the 10 most recent posts regardless of what forum they are located in.
GoodDog
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by GoodDog »

You mean instead of General or Event etc. put up something like Off Topic.? I wouldn't care, but don't think it's really necessary. Lots of stuff in the forums aren't necessairly geocaching related. The forums are just getting to be fun and gain a wider audience.
Dubbin1

Post by Dubbin1 »

GoodDog wrote:You mean instead of General or Event etc. put up something like Off Topic.? I wouldn't care, but don't think it's really necessary. Lots of stuff in the forums aren't necessairly geocaching related. The forums are just getting to be fun and gain a wider audience.
Most forums have some sort off off topic place to chat in. I come here looking for caching info and really don't care much for the off topic chat. That is the only reason that I suggested it. It just gets to be a pain when I see there are new posts and go into the forum only to find out that it is in one of the threads that I mentioned above. I just think it would help clean things up a little better is all.
Hydnckr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Hydnckr »

Dubbin1 wrote:Most forums have some sort off off topic place to chat in. I come here looking for caching info and really don't care much for the off topic chat. That is the only reason that I suggested it. It just gets to be a pain when I see there are new posts and go into the forum only to find out that it is in one of the threads that I mentioned above. I just think it would help clean things up a little better is all.
I agree with that. The off topic forum would be simple to set up too (I assume)
remark2000

Post by remark2000 »

I can agree with an off topic forum, but to tell you the truth I actually enjoy the non geocaching topics. Anything that takes my mind off the non geocaching world, which is a big reason I got into geocaching to begin with. :lol:
GizmoGuy411
Uber Level Poster (2k - 2999 posts)

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

For some reason it took a while for us to get around to setting up the "Off Topic Forum" category.

Of course most of the work was moving things around once the category was created.

Thanks for the idea!