What Defines This Group and Who Makes Decisions?

Suggestions for website & website related help requests and problem notification.

Moderator: Steering Committee

GizmoGuy411
Uber Level Poster (2k - 2999 posts)

Re: What Defines This Group and Who Makes Decisions?

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

TheBearclaws wrote:So far Intro Page sounds best to me but here's a couple more names: Main Page, Starting Page, Central Page, Steering Page.
I also liked "Hub", however that name misrepresents what the page does.

The term "Splash" page is sometimes used for such pages.

Did I mention "Welcome page" or "Greeting page" before?
cheechgang
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by cheechgang »

Welcome page seems to sound like our main goal in revising the site, sounds good to me.
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

GizmoGuy411,

What about "Front Door" or "Foyer". That's what is is isn't it?

That way the Welcome Wagon page won't be confused.
TheBearclaws
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by TheBearclaws »

Welcome Page sounds good to me. To avoid confusion maybe the Welcome Wagon term could be changed to something else like New Cacher Greeting.
RustyNail09
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by RustyNail09 »

lemme see, Other terms used: Front page, Lobby, Welcome page, Front page, Page I generally bypass.

Anywho, I do believe that a nice front page with our mission statement and general information would be a great idea! I'm still kinda surprised that you all don't use PHPBB..
GizmoGuy411

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

RustyNail09 wrote:... Page I generally bypass.
LOL!
RustyNail09 wrote:... surprised that you all don't use PHPBB..
Actually, the forum component of Dragonfly is PHPBB with some enhancements for security and mods for better integration with other modules of the CMS. In fact the original name for DragonFly, was PHP Nuke, reflecting its PHPBB roots.

If you poke around in the Help area for the Forum, and I think maybe in the FAQ area, you see references to PHPBB yet. In fact, with close observation you can also note that whoever wrote them was probably English. Words where we use "z", they use "s", and words like "color" they spell "colour". I've changed a few as I've found them, but I'm sure I've missed some.

When Jason first chose DragonFly over other CMS choices, one criteria was security. DF also looked like it was going to remain free, and have a wealth of community support. While it is still free it did go through a period where the community support suffered do to some conflicts between the principal players.

During that period of turmoil Jason considered switching us over to Joomla. It had some great features and advantages over DM including a more robust forum module than the old PHPBB redo, however it was not as integrated with other features as DM is.

Since then, DM has made more progress and their upgrade process, and community support has resumed. However due to some internal code changes that I made a few years ago, it has thwarted us from following the upgrades. The short story was that we thought the changes would be easy to migrate to new a new version, however DM completely re-wrote areas of the system to better support multiple languages, which made our changes difficult to migrate. Removing the changes was also not an option as it would kill the readability of an untold of forum posts. There may now be a solution however that we have been recently discussing.
Last edited by GizmoGuy411 on Mon 2009-03-09, 13:29:27, edited 1 time in total.
GizmoGuy411

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

TeamMina wrote:Mike and I are pretty active in picking up, moving, and swapping TBs and GCs so we would be more than happy to write the guidelines for travelbugs.
That would be a nice contribution. Why not start another thread and submit a draft for discussion?

(This thread has diverged enough already! :()
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

GizmoGuy411 wrote:
TeamMina wrote:Mike and I are pretty active in picking up, moving, and swapping TBs and GCs so we would be more than happy to write the guidelines for travelbugs.
That would be a nice contribution. Why not start another thread and submit a draft for discussion?

(This thread has diverged enough already! :()
We will work on something and get it posted tomorrow. Mike is off so that will give him something to do while I sleep! :D :mrgreen:
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

Great! I always get assigned work when I'm not around to thwart it!
So much for spending the day getting caught up on "Ghost Hunters"!
Thanks honey!
SuchaNana

Post by SuchaNana »

yuppers...from the newbie POV - what y'all said tis true...confusing...past few days spent just clicking everywhere...thanks for all the volunteers who have tried to make it easier for me and those to follow...sorry i can't volunteer to help w/techno end...clueless here...but whatever else i could do so that others don't have to hunt around...
SuchaNana...Life is STILL an Adventure...